Friday, July 4, 2008

Independence Day

as ever, I spend the 4th of July in the South; a region which, less than a century after the Declaration of Independence, nearly brought the nation asunder.

some say the irony is palpable. others argue that I doubly celebrate the spirit of America by detonating explosives somewhere so wrought with independence that it sacrificed its resources, institutions and values in an attempt to achieve such.

I fail to appreciate either the irony or the confluence because I barely recognize the United States of America as a sovereign nation and little desire to examine the nuances of its petulance...nor that of its constituent parts.

to me, Arkansington provides a place to launch fireworks purchased in the even more lawless state of Misboury; Nebraskashire permits only the most pedestrian pyrotechnics.

No comments: